Just as Jesus predicted, out world is in constant hot bed of continual armed conflict (Matt.24:6). War is a constant reality of life. Currently, there are 32 armed conflicts in the world. In spite of man’s civilization and human advancement, we only seem to device more efficient means of killing each other. Terrorist attacks have convinced us that we are not safe even in our homes. Today to build a house without a bunker is ill advised. In the first world, fathers, mothers and children are fully armed with firearms and others with clusters guns and bombs. It is to this world of conflict Christ has send His disciples to minister peace. “Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God” (5:9). As for me I desire peace, I desire peace in my heart, I pray for peace in your heart ! I long for peace between each one of us. I pray that each of us became a peace maker not a troublemaker.
Let us Learn:-
FIRST, THE MEANING OF PEACE
- In this world and country we do not have economic peace, religious peace, racial peace, tribal peace, social peace, family peace, personal peace, gender peace or political peace.
- Absence of conflict is not the presence of peace.
SECONDLY, THE ENEMY OF PEACE-SIN
- Why has every human effort at lasting international peace failed ? Why did the league of Nation fail ? Why will the United Nations ultimately fail ?
- What is the problem ? Is it political, social, economic ?
- The problem is primarily, moral and theological.
- The bible says “ Where do wars and fight come from among you ?”
- Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members ?(James 4:1)
- The trouble then is in the heart of man. Until the heart is drastically changed, the problem will persist.
THIRD, THE SOURCE OF PEACE – GOD.
- The point is this, Peace must be made. “ Peace Makers”, means those who make or those who do peace.
- Peace does not happen by chance. “Peacemakers” are here meant “Massagers of peace “
- Men and women are without peace because they are without God the source of peace.
- Our God (Jehovah, Yahweh) is the God of peace.
- God the father is the God of peace, Jesus Christ the Son is the Manifestation of peace – Prince of Peace.
- The Holy Spirit is the agent of peace.
- The God of peace sent the Prince of peace who sends the Spirit of peace to give the fruit of peace. (Gal.5:22)
FOURTH, THE MESSENGERS OF PEACE :- BELIEVERS.
- First, what a peacemaker is not !!
(A) Peace is not found in appeasement.
- History has proven that when peace is pursued “ at any price “, peace is precisely what you don’t get.
- In 1937, German invaded Czechoslovakia, the British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain gave Adolf Hitler the territory he wanted and returned with a signed paper saying “ We have achieved peace for our time “. The next year German invaded Poland !! Causing world war II.
(B) Peace is not found in compromising Truth.
- When you tell someone the truth it will not always be received gratefully.
- When you preach the truth not every one is happy.
- The truth must always evoke a reaction-the truth provokes.
- Many preachers today never want to provoke any sinner.
- Words like sin, sinner, hell, punishment etc. are avoided.
- The word of God brings discomfort, leads to conviction which leads to confession which leads to Biblical peace
- Second, what being a peace maker is !
- To be a peace maker is to risk misunderstanding.
- In 1993 Israel prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated by a fellow Jew for signing peace treaty with Yasser Arafat and the PLo.
- There are three characteristics of Peacemaker.
- Peace with God. (Rom.5:1, @ Cor.5:18-20)
- Personal peace with God. (Rom.5:1)
- Leading others to peace with God.
- Having established peace with God one assumes the responsibility of actively working to reconcile others to God and one another. (II Cor.5:18-20, John 15:27, Phil.4:7)
- The peace of God is not something you manufacture, buy or earn.
- There must be peace with others (Rom.12:18)
- Those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness. (Jm.3:18)
FIFTH, THE REWARD OF PEACE:-ETERNAL SONSHIP.
- “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God”.
- “Sons of God” is not the same as “Children of God”.
- “Sons of God” is bestowed title indicating a special family relationship.
- The promise and reward is that you will be recognized and designated as a true son of God. You resemble God.
¨ We are called to peace, we are actively to pursue peace, we are to strive for peace with all men, and so far as it depends on us, live peacefully with all.