I JOHN 3:1-3
There are six tests or proofs that one loves God. The first test is that the one that loves God also experiences the incredible love of God. God is not far from us neither is He distant, unreachable, unconcerned or absent. God is not mean or vengeful. Because God is love it means that God cares and looks after us. He will help us through all the trials and temptations of life. God will save us from sin, evil, corruption and death. He is our deliverer. Since God loves us, we must love Him back.
Let us learn the whole thing:-
I. THE PRIVILEGE OF GOD’S LOVE: WE ARE CALLED CHILDREN OF GOD. (I John 3:1)
- There is no greater privilege than to be called a child of God.
- To be a child of supreme majesty of the entire universe, the supreme intelligence and power that created all things.
- It is the love of God that has bestowed the privilege of adoption upon us.
- Man by nature has neglected, ignored, cursed, disobeyed, disbelieved, rejected and denied God.
- The love of God is amazing, it was which we were yet sinners Christ saved us. (Rom 5:, 5:9-10)
- The world does not know nor understand believers. Believers are ridiculed, mocked, ignored, opposed, abused, rejected and persecuted by the world. (Mt.10:17, 24:9, Jn.15:20, Phil.2:29)
II. THE HOPE AND MYSTERY OF GOD’S LOVE: THE ETERNAL TRANSFORMATION (3:2)
- Now, we are already the children of God, but more is coming.
- Our eternal state – When He shall appear we shall be just like Him. (Rom. 8:29, Eph.1:4, 4:24, I Cor. 15:49)
- We shall be like Him. (I John 3:2)
- The body will not be corruptible but incorruptible (I Cor. 15:42) our present body, ages, deteriorates, dies, decays and decomposes, but the new will never perish.
- The body will not be a body of dishonor but glory (I Cor.15:43)
- Our current body is dishonorable; death and burial.
- Ultimately the human body is shamed, disgraced, degraded and deprived of all glory.
- Every human body is doomed to become nothing more than a handful of dirt.
- The resurrected body is full of Glory (I Cor.15:43)
- The body will be not a body of weakness, but a body of power (I Cor.15:43)
- In these earthly bodies we are ever weak and subject to sickness, disease, limitations.
- In death the human body is absolutely and utterly powerless.
- But, the resurrected body is full of power, might, health, authority and control.
III. THE MOTIVE OF GOD’S LOVE : PURITY. (I John 3:3)
- God wants a people just like Himself – Pure and Holy.
- God wants a people holy, worshiping and serving. Matt.5:8, II Cor.7:1, I Tim.1:5, 2 Tim.2:21
This is the test, the proof that we love God.
¨ Do we understand the incredible love of God ?
¨ Are we stirred to live pure lives, because of His love for us ?