The message of Christmas is “Fear Not”, the message from the cross and the empty tomb is “Fear not”. Ever since man fell into sin fear has overcome the entire human nature. There are thousands of types of fear. Humans fear death, poverty, disease, old age, pain, the future etc. when the power of the highest stooped to overshadow the lowly Mary, it was to her mightiness, though mild. She could truly say “Thy gentleness has made me great.” (2 Sam.22:36)
Let us learn:-
I. THE PROMISE “Fear not, Thou hast found favor with God and shalt bring forth a Son and shall call Him JESUS” (v.30-31)
- Mary found favor, she did not deserve it or bought it.
- The grace of God, which is favor is never found by those who seek it as wages.
- The gift of God is eternal life.
- God’s favor does not automatically bring instant success or fame.
- For Mary, her honor as Mother of Our Lord brought much pain, ridicule, and misunderstanding.
- Her son would be rejected and murdered on a cross.
- Today, if sorrow weighs you down and dims your hope, think of Mary and wait patiently for God to finish working out His plan for your life.
II. THE QUESTION “HOW SHALL THIS BE, SEEING I KNOW NOT A MAN?” (V.34)
- To have Jesus Christ formed within us is to be blessed above all.
- Our question is “How shall this be?”
- Humans want to reason out things.
- There are five schools out of this question of faith and reason.
- Faith only
- Reason only
- Faith above reason
- Reason above faith
- Faith and Reason.
- Christ told Nicodemus “You must be Born Again-he asked, “How shall this be?”
III. THE ANSWER “THE HOLY SPIRIT SHALL COME UPON YOU, AND THE POWER OF THE HIGHEST SHALL OVERSHADOW THEE.” (v.35)
- To Mary’s question, “How shall this be?” God’s answer is “The Holy Spirit”
- How shall His son be revealed to me? (Gal.1:16) The Holy Ghost shall come upon you.
- It is not by power nor by might, but by my Spirit. (Zech.4:6)
- He who brooded over the creation of old must overshadow you (Gen.1:2)
- It is the Spirit that quickeneth gives life. (John 6:63)
- God’s way of salvation- Favor of God- the Holy Spirit does it.
- God’s way of sanctification-Favor of God- the Holy Spirit does it.
- God’s way of service- Favor of God- The Holy Spirit works (Acts 1:8)
IV. MARY’S PRAYER, “BE IT UNTO ME ACCORDING TO THY WORDS” (v.38)
- Mary could not understand how the son of God was to be formed in her,
- But Mary believed that it was His gracious will that it should be so.
- Mary yielded herself, spirit, soul, and body that the will of God may be done in her and through her.
- “Be it unto me according to thy word”
- This brief, deep, self-surrendering, God glorifying prayer breathes the secret of salvation, sanctification and successful service.
- Not my will, but thine be done.
- Mary surrendered herself to God without further questions.
- Do not wait to see the bottom line before offering yourself to God.
- Offer yourself to God, even when the outcome of your decision seem disastrous.
- Sarah Abraham’s wife laughed, Zachariah doubted but Mary believed God.
- Our response to God’s demands should not be laughter or doubt but willing acceptance.
- What is God’s demand upon your life today? Is it salvation, service, fellowship- Just believe and obey Him.
- Fear not, Gods favor and grace, the Holy Spirit will overshadow you, for with God Nothing shall be impossible.