Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God” (5:8). When Jesus Christ spoke this beatitude, He was really answering the question in every one’s mind “WHO CAN STAND BEFORE A HOLY GOD?”. There are only two kinds of Religions in the world; one is the religion of human achievement. This religion belief that you earn your own way (Auto-salvation). This is the belief that somehow one can make one-self acceptable to God through good works, rituals or by observing the law and a day of worship. One of these religion is having a fast. The other kind of religion is the religion of divine accomplishment that says “I can do it, God did it for me in Christ”. Religion of human accomplishment is Satan’s lie.
Religion of human accomplishment was started by Cain. (Gen.4)
The Psalmist in (Psalm 24:3-5) spoke of man’s desire “who shall ascend to the Hill of the Lord?” Who can stand in His holy place ?. David gives the answer in (Psalm 51:10). “Create in me a clean heart , O God, and renew a steadfast Spirit within me”. David knew two things, first, without a clean heart, no one can see God, second, David knew that he was not able to do it for himself. A certain Lawyer asked Jesus (Luke 10:25) Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life ?
Let us learn:-
I. THE MEANING OF PURITY
- The English word “Purity” is (Katharos) from this word we get the word “Catharsis”. The word pure has two meaning; one; to make pure by cleansing, two; unmixed or undiluted.
- The pure are those who have been cleansed.
- The pure in heart are those who come to Jesus Christ in recognition of their sins and who have received forgiveness by having their sins washed away. This kind of purity cannot be accomplished by human effort.
- This kind of purity can only be experienced through a New birth.
- Secondly, “Pure” means unmixed or undiluted. Purified water or metal with impurities removed or grain that has had the chaff removed.
- “Pure” mean a heart that is unmixed with devotion to anything or any person other than God.
- Our problem is double mindedness and divided heart.
- Paul expressed it very well, about the human heart (Rom. 7:15-18)
- Purity of heart in this sense is singleness of heart, as opposed to divided heart. The pure in heart are therefore, those who single mindedly have a goal to please and glorify God.
II. THE FOCUS OF PURITY-THE HEART.
- The word heart (Kardia) is the word we get cardiac – A bad heart can kill you, A bad spiritual heart can send you to Hell.
- The Bible speaks of the heart in three ways;
- The human emotions (John 14:1, Neh.2:2)
- The human intellect (Mark 2:8, Heb.4:12)
- The human will (Daniel 1:8)
- The heart is the seat of character (“Guard your heart, above all” Proverb 4:23)
- The human heart is the source of all troubles (Gen.6:5, Jer.17:9)
- Jesus Christ said the heart is horrible source (Matt. 15:18-19)
- The focus of demand for purity is the human heart (Luke 6:45)
III. THE PATHWAY TO PURITY.
- Admit your impurity.
- We must first admit and recognize the impurity of our hearts (Proverbs 20:9)
- Admit that only God can make your heart pure, but you must be willing.
- There are two purities (1) Positional purity, (2) Practical purity.
- When you repent of your sins, you are forgiven, you receive positional purity.
- Practical purity is most difficult,-You are responsible for maintaining the purity of your heart. (II Cor. 7:1)
- Pray for Purity.
- David knew how to pray (Psalm 51:10)
- We have dirty hearts that need daily purification.
- Apply the word of God daily. (Psalm 119:9)
IV. THE REWARD OF PURITY.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God”.
- When our heart is pure, then the vision is clear and then we see God.
- We see God in His creation (Psalm 19:1)
- We see God in our circumstances, not just accidents, for the child of God it is a series of divine appointments.
- We see God in His word, we see more of God (II Cor.3:18)
- The eyes see what the heart loves, if you love God you will see God.
- We see God Ultimately (I Cor. 13:12, I John 3:2)
¨ Let us achieve purity by being “unmixed”
¨ God is looking for unmixed people (II Chron.16:9)