When we risk according to God’s purpose, we are greatly rewarded. Most of us tend to settle for predictable and comfortable lives. We think the more comfortable and predictable we are the more Christian we are. We are not bold with our lives to seize every day as a fresh gift from God. Yet God gives us new opportunities each day. In this chapter, King Solomon tells us “Don’t play it safe”, don’t let fear, pessimism and paranoia rule your life. Decide to enjoy life instead of just enduring life. Salomon has spent a lot of time teaching us that life is unpredictable so the only way to live life is under God’s providential hands. But he also tells us that living under God’s providence involves some risk.
Let us learn:-
I. LIVE LIFE GENEROUSLY (11:1)
- “Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again”
- The bible days, the most profitable business was the import and export business.
- You had to trust your “bread” on the “waters”.
- Your product made more money when shipped by sea than land.
- It got to its destination quicker, you were able to take advantage of some economic conditions.
- Profit was high, but risks were many, pirates, storms and terrible “middlemen” who stole the profits.
- But there was greater risk brought by fear- if you kept your bread at home, it moulds and rots, so you lose not only profit but the bread itself.
- Jesus talked about the man who got one talent and chose to bury it in the ground. He lost it, he should have at least banked it for interest.
- Solomon says, don’t hold what you have, put it out there!
- Put your treasure, time, talent and testimony out there.
- Avoid the philosophy that says “Get all you can, can all you get, then sit on the can”. This is the philosophy of lives “lived under the sun”.
- Life “lived under heaven” is different (prov.11;24-25)
- Jesus said in (Luke 6:3) ‘Give and it will be given to you.”
- Ecclesiastes 11:2 “Give portions to seven, yes to eight.”
- Don’t be focused on one thing because of disasters. In the bank they say “Diversify your portfolio”
- Seven is the number of completion “8” is one step beyond.
- Live a life of faith, for life will produce nothing significant without faith (2 Cor.5:7)
II. LIVE LIFE BOLDLY (11:3-4)
- What kind of excuses are holding you back? What excuses are making you to reject Christ?
- 11:5-6, – You will never have everything figured out. If you will wait until everything is just right you will never get everything done!
- Don’t let obstacles stop you from doing what you are supposed to do.
- Excuses are an indication of lack of faith, “Excuses like a sausage, a skin of a reason stuffed with a lie”
- Remember God is in total control (Eph.3:20)
III. LIVE LIFE JOYFULLY (11:7-8)
- It is always a joy to see another sunshine and sunrise.
- Enjoy life now- while you can- it is a joy to be alive.
- 11:9-10- Be happy young man- but remember judgment day is coming.
- Young man don’t go to the extreme without counting the cost and consequences of your action.
- Old person don’t go to the extreme of playing it safe leading a comfortable and predictable life (I Cor. 10:31)
- Do you want to live life to the fullest? You cannot do that without pleasing the king of kings and the Lord of lords Jesus Christ.
- Do your best for the one who gave His all, you will find abundant life here and eternal life in heaven.