I JOHN 3:10-17
The third test that we really love God is love to others. Since God is love, it is absolutely impossible to love God and not love one another .
Let us learn.
I. LOVE REVEALS ONE’S TRUE NATURE .(v10)
- The one thing that shows that one is either a child of God or of the devil is LOVE.
- A person who does not live a righteous life is not of God.
- A person who does not live a pure and holy life is not of God.
- A person who does not love his brother / sister is not of God.
- The person who mistreats, abuse, ignores, neglects or takes advantage of his / her brother /sister is not of God. (Rom.13:8-10)
II. LOVE IS AN ETERNAL MESSAGE FROM GOD. (V.11)
- Love is the message heard from the beginning of time.
- The message is “LOVE ONE ANOTHER”
III. LOVE DOES NOT PERSECUTE OTHERS (v.12-13)
- Love does not persecute the righteous.
- Cain committed the very first murder on earth.
- Cain killed his own brother Abel (Gen.4:1-15)
- A person who truly loves his brother will not: Criticize, backbite, censor, spread rumors, downgrade, attack, abuse, gossip, envy, oppose, hurt, destroy, murder, dislike and hate. (John15:12, 13:8-10)
- If we love Christ, then the world will persecute us. (Matt.24:9, Luke 6:22-23, 21:17)
IV. LOVE IS THE PROOF THAT ONE HAS PASSED FROM DEATH TO LIFE (v.14)
- The death spoken here is Spiritual and Eternal death.
- Love is the proof that we have passed from death over into life.
V. LOVE DOES NOT HATE (v.15)
- The person that hates his brother is a murderer. (Matt.5:21-22)
- Love is the only security against hate.
- A hater is a murderer and no murderer has eternal life. (I John 4:20-21)
VI. LOVE IS THE PROOF THAT ONE UNDERSTANDS THE LOVE OF CHRIST. (v.16)
Jesus Christ laid down His life for us;
- When we were without strength (Rom 5:6)
- When we were ungodly (Rom 5:6)
- When we were sinners (Rom 5:8)
- When we were enemies of God, rebelling, cursing, neglecting, ignoring, denying and rejecting God. (Rom.5:10)
VII. LOVE HAS COMPASSION AND GIVES TO MEET THE NEED OF OTHERS. (v.17)
- Love gives the necessities of life to those in need.
- We live in a very desperate world, needs are everywhere (Church, home, school, street, country, region, continent and world) (Acts 20:35, I Tim.6:17-19)
¨ Loving other people is the proof that we love God.
¨ Giving to the material needs of others is a higher proof that we are children of God.
¨ Do we really love God this way ?