TEXT: MATHEW 21:3-11
This was Jesus’ Palm Sunday Journey. As He enters Jerusalem, Jesus is acclaimed as the Messiah but He enters humbly, riding on a donkey. Jerusalem is the City of a great King (Ps.48:1-2) the center of Israel’s religious life and Messianic expectations. He fulfills Zech 9:9
Let us Learn:-
- THE ROAD WAS WELL KNOWN, BUT THIS JOURNEY WAS UNIQUE
- Jesus had been on this road many times.
- Jesus offers Himself as King.
- “Behold Your King is coming to you, lowly and sitting on a donkey” (Matt21:5)
- We may know our road, but Jesus knows our Journey.
- WHY A DONKEY FOR HIS JOURNEY?
- Riding on a beast of burden, not royal recognition.
- He came in peace, not war.
- This was the only time Jesus ever rode, unique recognition.
- He did it to fulfil prophesy.(Zech 9:9)
- WE PLAN OUR JOURNEY,GOD TAKES CARE OF OUR NEEDS
- Peter and John were send to get the donkey. “The Lord has need” (Matt21:3).God prepares hearts. “A Colt tied on which no one has sat” (Mark 11:2)
- The owner submitted to the Lord.
- They brought the colt to Jesus, they threw their garments on it” (Mark11:7)
- THERE ARE DIFFERENT RESPONSES TO JESUS ON THE JOURNEY
- Sacrifice- “They spread their garments on the road” (Matt.21:8)
- Recognition– “They took branches of palm tree and went out to meet Him” (Jn.12:13)
- Service– “He sent two of His disciples –go loose him and bring him here”( Luke 19:30).
- Welcome – “When He came into the city of Jerusalem, the city was moved. “This is Jesus the Prophet of Nazareth” (Matt.21:11)
- Rejection– “The Pharisee’s-Teacher, rebuke your disciples” Luke 19:39.
- Blinded– “His disciples did not understand at first”. (John.12:16)
- THE JOURNEY WAS OUT OF CHARACTER FOR JESUS.
- “He withdrew from the crowd, meek and lowly”.
- Jesus planned the journey to announce Himself.
- God has a plan for Jesus and for you
- THE SUNDAY JOURNEY WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END
- It was the beginning of the last week of His earthly ministry.
- The beginning of the last Passover.
- The beginning of the last offer of the Kingdom
- JESUS KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN ON THE JOURNEY.
- Stop to weep (Luke 19:41-44)
- Focus on Jesus because He knows your Journey.
- THE FOCUS OF THE JOURNEY WAS JESUS
- Your Journey is not about you. (Luke.19:37-38)
- “Blessed is the King who come in the Name of our Lord.”
- Seek the Lord “Wise men still seek Him”
- Yield to Him “Jesus Christ has a plan for your life.”
- Rejoice in Him. –Because of what Jesus did.
¨ Your journey of life is not about you
¨ Do you know and love Jesus Christ.
¨ Today is the day of salvation.