TEXT : PROVERBS 30:11-14.
There are four areas in which every family must guard against decay. When Solomon considered generational issues he commented on four areas of decay that should concern every family. Every parent is concerned about his/her generations. No one want to arrive this each and just leave it without generation.
- THE DISINTEGRATION OF PARENTHOOD.
“THERE IS A GENERATION THAT CURSETH THEIR FATHER, AND DOTH NOT BLESS THEIR MOTHER” V .11.
- There are those who directly disobey the 5th Commandment to honor our father and mother (Ex. 20:12).
- God places a lot of importance to the 5th Commandment to the extent that it is the first command on the 2nd table of laws.
- Man’s first responsibility to the other human beings is to one’s parents.
- To allow children to dishonor their parents is to allow them to dishonor God.
- Parents must train their sons and daughters to honor them.
- “parenting is the process of making disciples of your children”.(Henry Brandt).
- One of the goals of parenting is independence of
- children and their generations.
- The story is told of two families:
- Max Jukes– He lived in New York. He did not believe in Christ and refused to take his children to church even when they asked to go. He had 1026 descendants, 200 were sent to prison for an average term of 13yrs, 190 were prostitutes and 680 were admitted alcoholics. His family cost the Government of US millions of dollars. They never contributed to the betterment of society.
- Jonathan Edwards. He lived at the same time as Max Jukes. He loved God and made sure that his children went to church every Sunday. He served God to the best of his ability. He had 929 descendants.
-430 were ministers of the gospel.
-96 became University presidents.
-75 Authored books.
5 were elected representatives and 2 became U.S senators one of them became Vice president of United States. His family cost the government zero dollras , but has contributed immeasurably to society both Locally and Internationally.
- THE TOLERANCE OF THE FILTH. V. 12
“THERE IS A GENERATION THAT ARE PURE IN THEIR OWN EYES, AND YET IS NOT WASHED FROM THEIR FILTHINESS”
* Today the word ’Tolerance has become the rallying cry for the world out there.
* Tolerance means “there is nothing wrong with anything anymore”.
* Filthy is not filth anymore, it is entertainment.
* Today pornography is not taken as filth.
* Decent conversational standards have been lowered in our culture.
* We care more for the rights of animals, yet care nothing for the rights of pre-born babies. It is a ’tolerant’ culture.
- THE PREVALENCE OF PRIDE. V. 13
“THERE IS A GENERATION, O HOW LOFTY ARE THEIR EYES AND THEIR EYELIDS ARE LIFTED UP”.
* Our people are decaying with pride.
* We are proud to kick God out of our Affairs.
* We are proud to promiscuity, materialism, greed, our accomplishments “Our eyelids arelifted up”.
- THE NEED FOR GREEDY V. 14 “THERE IS A GENERATION WHOSE TEETH ARE AS A SWORD, AND THEIR JAW TEETH AS KNIVES, TO DEVOUR THE POOR FROM OFF THE EARTH AND THE NEEDY FROM AMONG MEN”.
“We suffer from greed, indicated by overwork, no time and energy left for priorities” we want more stuff and corruption is among us.
* We miss church to do our own things.
* When we come to giving, we complain
* THERE IS A GENERATION.(PROV. 30:11-14)
* Will you stand out of the crowd and be different in this generation?
* Will you follow Christ and rather suffer with Him outside the city walls? I PRAY YOU WILL