Many struggles in life are caused by expectations. Everyone has expectation out of life, people and God. When our expectations are not met, we become bitter and disillusioned. Disillusion always follows false beliefs. Expectations are either rooted in reality or fantasy. Unrealistic expectations are like a bubble when the bubble bursts it leaves us disguised and depressed. God has expectations of us so do we have of Him. Parents, children, employers, employees, students and teachers, pastors and church members, husbands and wives etc. Solomon tells us wisdom leads to satisfaction while folly leads to frustration. let us learn;-
I. SKILL IS NOT GUARANTEE OF SUCCESS (ECCL 9:11-12)
- After you have lived life for sometimes you come to realize that life is not fair.
- Our abilities are not a guarantee of success, because there are circumstances outside of our control under the sun.
- Time and chance greatly affect the outcome of our endeavours.
- Like fish, we are caught in evil nets of life, like birds we are taken in snares, but still there is time for everything under heaven (3:1) and God causes something beautiful to come out of everything (3:11)
- Remember time is in the hands of God. Tomorrow belongs to Him (James 4:13-16) God’s will is paramount in life.
II. OUR SOCIETY DOES NOT HONOR THE RIGHT THINGS (9:13-17)
- A small city was attacked by a very powerful king,
- The poor wise man strategy was ignored by the people. The rude but foolish man was listened to than the poor wise man.
- Fools are usually loud and difficult to ignore. The wise person is then ignored and forgotten.
- Society honours wealth, attractiveness and political clout.
- Our society gives more recognition to celebrities, sports stars etc.
- Compare Diana the princess of Weles and Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Diana young and beautiful, Teresa old and ugly
Diana – First world, eating disorder called bulimia
Teresa – third world, starvation only two dresses, while Diana’s clothes were sold for ($ 8million)
Today the world taunts our godless worship of glamour and style
III. WISDOM IS OFTEN DEFEATED BY FOOLISH THINGS
- Wisdom is better than a weapon of war-but one sinner destroys much good. (Eccl 9:8) a school’s exam results cancelled because of one cheat who failed the exam!
- Eccl 10:1 dead flies destroy perfume – little foolishness destroys a good reputation. David and Bethsheba, Moses striking the rock.
- The difference between the wise and the foolish is in the decisions they make (Eccl 10: 2-3) Matthew 7:13-14.
- Foolish leaders have an anger problem (10:4) Pro 25:15
- Foolish leadership puts the wrong people in management positions (Eccl 10:5-7) is also a destiny issue here.
- Sometimes fools become Governors, senators, MPs, Presidents, principals and pastors
- Foolish workers (Eccl 10:8-11) don’t work without sharpening the axe
- Overconfidence and false presumptions end up hurting self and others.
- When we live by the foolishness of the world we are grounded. ( The eagle that was raised together with chicken)
- Sometimes, things don’t work out the way we think they should
- Trust God and live life to the fullest.
- Unrealistic, unfulfillable, unbiblical expectations lead to miserable living – Adjust them with wisdom from above (James 3:13-18)