Psalm 31:20 “Thou shall hide them in the secret of thy presence from the intrigues of men, thou shalt keep them secret in a pavilion from the strife of tongues “as we discuss the above verse let us look also at Psalm 141: 3, “set a watch o Lord, before my mouth: keep the door of my lips”. The first verse talks about God having to hide people in His pavilion because of the strife of tongues. The second speaks about setting a watch over our mouths and the Lord keeping the door of our lips. The door of the mouth has caused destruction in our present world. The mouth has a lock, in His wisdom the Almighty God has designed the human head with seven openings, two nostrils, two ears, two eyes and only one mouth. God restricted us to one Mouth. God wants us to see double, hear double, smell double but speak only once. Psalm 34:11-13- The fear of God must start with the judicious use of the tongue. Psalm 13:3- He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life. See also Prov.2:23, 15:14; 8:21
Let us Learn:-
I. THE POWER OF THE WORD.
- The word is very powerful.
- There is a powerful secret behind the nature of the word.
- Word comes from spiritual beings.
- The words that the devil spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden had an evil power that brought destruction.
- Our lives are products of the word we have spoken, thought and believed about ourselves.
- Your words determine your destiny.
- The words we speak never die. The strife of tongues, a person who curses affect other people, angry words invite violent and wicked spirits.
- Politicians speak words of deceit and chaos.
- Foolish professors speak words of blasphemy against God.
- Demonic musicians sing songs that destroy the lives of men and women.
- False prophets speak prophecies of destruction.
- Pastors of dry bones in dry churches speak dry words to stony hearts of dying people.
- Satanic agents speak words full of lies and ignorance to receptive souls.
- The bible says God shall judge evil idle word that men speak- on the day of judgement.
- The danger posed by the strife of tongue is so much that God has to hide even His own people.
II. WHAT CAN BE TERMED AS STRIFE OF TONGUES IN OUR LOCAL SETTING AND HOW DOES IT AFFECT PEOPLE?
- Curses: Curses are rampant in Africa
- Words of a curse goes deep to the roots.
- Jesus cursed the fig tree, the curse went right into the roots.
- When people quarrel, they curse husbands, curse wives, parents curse children, teacher to their students etc.
- Angry exchange of words: Evil exchange are usually backed up by evil spirits.
- When you are angry, it is better not to talk and especially with people who have authority over you. Parents, pastors etc.
- You should not argue with anointed men of God because they can speak words that can affect your life negatively.
- Those who are filled with the Holy Spirit should avoid hot verbal exchange- they can harm people.
- Incantations: incantation is an invitation to demonic spirits to punish a person. When demonic spirits are invited, they swing into action.
- Evil reports: This occurs when somebody takes somebody’s case to a witch doctor, evil prophet or occult people for punishment or death.
- Careless abuse and jokes: Jokes are not jokes, they are effective destroyers of people.
- External Reversal of Bad words: This is when what is said externally is opposite of what is said internally. When you mean bad inside and you say well outside.
- Demonic chants: (Isaiah 8:19). Demonic chanting is the method of destruction employed by many occult people- when you hear someone calling your name and you don’t know the person, don’t answer.
- Self-direct curse or swearing for denial purpose (Matt.5:34) Oaths by heaven, earth, your head etc. are demonic (v.35)
- Acceptance of demonic prophesies: No amount of “Eli, Eli, Eli” it is a strife of tongue (I Kings 18:17-18)
III. WHEN THERE IS STRIFE OF TONGUES:
- Reject it- it does not belong to you.
- Reverse it. –Reverse it, return back to the sender.
- Return it- Return it and decree that it should not come back.
Remember “A closed mouth does not catch flies”
- I reject and return to sender, every strife of tongue against my life in Jesus Name.
- Every misuse of my tongue against myself, I cancel you in Jesus Name.
- Every power and activity of serpentine spirit against my life be cancelled in the Name of Jesus.
- Every evil report about me, I cancel you in the Name of Jesus.