TEXT: GENESIS 3:17-19
Adam and Eve’s disobedience and fall from God’s presence affected all of creation including the environment. Thorns and thistles are as a result of the curse that fell on the man. Hardships of life are common, but each one of us needs to evaluate what is happening in our lives, there are different kinds of vessels in the house of God. God will not accept any excuse from anyone for not being a useful vessel.
Let us learn:
I. WHAT IS A THORN?
A thorn is a prickle or a sharply pointed growth on the branch, stem or leaf of a plant. In the above passage, we see what the Bible calls the curse of thorns. Thorns and thistles came into this world as a result of a curse. Thorns and thistles mean hard labour or a hard life. A life of thorns and thistles, if not rescheduled, can cause many problems.
- In Mathew 27:29-30, they platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon His head.
- They put a crown of thorns on Jesus Christ to mock Him.
II. WHY WAS HIS CROWN MADE OF THORNS
- His crown was made of thorns because he came to cancel and break the curse of thorns of life.
- Jesus Christ wore the crown for you and me
- He carried away the curse and spiritual poisons that made life a hell on earth
- When there are thorns in life, the purpose is to cause worry, trouble, temptation, annoyance, pain, humiliation and persistent attacks.
- Since Jesus Christ suffered and shed His blood to remove these thorns, life will offer only two things; thorns or flowers.
- You can, therefore, choose thorns or flowers (deut.8, Deut. 11:26-32)
III. WHAT DETERMINES WHETHER A PERSON PICKS THORNS OR FLOWERS
- What determines what you pick up is the kind of vessel you are made of.
- A vessel is a tool, an implement, a weapon or something you use to perform a particular function (Rom.9:21-23)
- Paul, tells us about four kinds of a vessel; -Useless, used, user, and useful. (2 Tim.2:20-21)
- God will not accept any excuse from anyone for not being a useful vessel.
- The excuse of Eve for disobedience was rejected.
- The excuse of Lot for wanting to stay in Sodom and Gomorrah was rejected.
- Moses for not wanting to talk to Pharaoh was rejected
- Excuses, for Aaron, the ten spies, Saul, Elijah, the unfaithful servant.
- Examine yourself what kind of vessel you will be. Thorns or flowers are in your hands.
- Do not be signpost or a spiritual bus conductor !!
- There are vessels of honour and vessels of dishonour; Every situation in life no matter how horrible it may be can be rectified by the touch of Jesus Christ.
- Prosperity or progress without Jesus Christ is zero.
IV. CATEGORIES OF THORNS OF LIFE
- Sin—Jesus Came to save us from sin (Matt.1:21)
- Sickness – Jesus was wounded for our sicknesses (Isa.53:1-6)
- Demonic oppression.
- Unfriendly friends
- Bad habits and addictions.
- Lack of spiritual power
- Spirit of failure.
V. ONLY JESUS CHRIST DEALS WITH THORNS IN OUR LIVES
- People will not. The story of the man who fell in a pit. ( Sympathizers, logic, Holiness, Mathematician, Historian, Journalist, Self-Pity, Pentecostal preacher, Jesus Christ)
- You can deliver yourself in the Name of Jesus or you can pray an aggressive prayer for Jesus Christ to set free.
- I break every curse that may be affecting my life in the Name of Jesus Christ.
- All enemies of my breakthrough, be disgraced in the Name of Jesus
- I refuse to pick thorns for my life and family, In Jesus Name.