TEXT: I JOHN 3:3-9
There are 6 tests that shows us that we really love God. The second test is; Have we turned away from sin and its enslavement?
- If we live in sin, if we are enslaved by its habits, it is clear sign we do not love God.
- The sign that we do love God is that the habits of sin have been broken and permanently conquered in our lives.
- If we have been born of God, we are partakers of His divine nature.
- If you love someone you don’t want to constantly annoy him or her but to please. We really want the approval and acceptance of those we love.
Therefore, the person who loves God, lives a holy and pure life.
Let us learn :-
I. THE NEED FOR DELIVERANCE(v.4)
- Man is sinful and he transgresses the law.
- People don’t like to be called sinners. Thus many people give other names to sin; they call sin, Mistakes, shortcoming, failure, psychological quirk, flaws etc.
- The Bible says, sin is the transgression of the law.
– Sin is choosing to go our own way.
– Sin is when we live the way we want, instead of God’s way.
– Sin is disbelieving God, disobeying, ignoring, rebelling and rejecting God.
– Man is not only a sinner, but sinful in nature. (Rom.3:10-19, Isa.64:6)
II. THERE IS THE PROVISION FOR DELIVERANCE. (v.5)
- Jesus Christ, the Son of God came to earth to take away our sins.
- Jesus Christ takes away our sins, because in Him is no sin. (John 1:29) (Scape goat)
- Jesus Christ the perfect Man, became the perfect sacrifice for sin (John 3:16-17, 2 Cor. 5:21, I Tim.1:15, Heb.9:28, I Peter 1:18:19;2:24)
III. THERE IS THE PROOF OF DELIVERANCE (v.6-7)
- If we abide in Christ– we do not continue, stay, sojourn in sin, but in Christ.
- If we continue in sin, then we have not seen Christ neither know Him.
- Don’t be deceived, to know Christ is not , professing, being baptized, joining church, attending church, reading the Bible and praying.
- The person who is born of God follows Jesus Christ, has to deny himself, die to self and live right. ( Matt. 5:20, Rom.10:3)
- THERE IS THE GREAT CONQUEST OF CHRIST IN DELIVERANCE. (v.8)
- The person who sins is of the devil. (John 8:44).
- The devil is the father of all lies. The Devil was the first to sin, rebel, disobey etc.
- The very purpose for the Son of God coming to earth was to destroy the works of the devil.
- The works of the devil are to steal, kill and destroy.
- The work of the devil are to accuse, charge, separate and enslave. The works of the devil have been destroyed by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
IV. THERE IS THE RESULT OF DELIVERANCE. (v.9)
- The believer in Christ is free from living in and practicing sin.
- The child of God cannot continually live, practice and habitually sin.
- No one born of God, habitually practices sin for God’s Nature abides in him.
- The seed of the new birth, is the seed of the new creation (2 Cor. 5:17), It is the seed of the new man (Eph.4:24, Col.3:10) It is the divine Nature (2 Pet. 1:4) it is the incorruptible seed of God’s word (I Peter 1:23).
- The seed of God within the believer is the very Holy Spirit of God.
¨ The Holy Spirit helps the believer to conquer sin and to keep him/her from sinning.
¨ The Holy Spirit stirs the believer to love and focus upon Christ and His mission instead of upon the world and its pleasures and possessions.
¨ The Holy Spirit stirs the believer not to sin.
¨ The believer in Christ should Never sin, but a believer can sin. (I John 2:1-2)