The overall theme of the sermon on the mountain was how people of the kingdom of Heaven are to live. Jesus was saying “ those who are my disciples should affect the world in a positive way by the way in which they live.
Let us learn.
FIRST, WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE SALT OF THE EARTH ? (Matt. 5:13)
- The Meaning.
- “ You all of you are the salt of the earth”
- Salt was a necessity of life in ancient times, a lot of value was attached to salt.
- Salt was used for money, Roman soldiers were actually paid with salt.!
- The word “Salary” is a Latin word “Salarium” or salt money.
- When we say “worth their salt” it means your value is not worth the pay (salt).
- The Application.
- According to the salt institute, there are over 14,000 uses of salt.
- The two primary uses of salt are seasoning and preservation.
- Salt was essential for survival in the days prior to refrigeration especially in preserving meat.
- Salt was to arrest or at least hinder the process of decay.
- Christians are given the task of arresting the decay of our world.
- Christianity has had a profound positive effect on the world.
- Christianity has attached New value to human life. Prior to Christianity infanticide and abandonment of child of God was common practice.
- Hospitals were began through the influence of Christianity.
- Schools and general education come through Christianity.
- The Red Cross was started by an evangelical Christian. The first 123 colleges and universities in the USA and 120 in Europe were began by the church.
- Orphanages, adoption centers, treatment centers for the insane, Agriculture etc.
- Slavery and slave trade was ended by Christians.
- Christians keep the corruption of society at bay by opposing moral decay by their lives and their words.
- Today there is a horrifying new trend, it is difficult to distinguish the Christians from the rest of the society.
- Divorce, teenage pregnancy, cheating in business, stealing and sexual immorality is as high for Christians as for non-Christians
- The salt has lost its saltiness, it is being thrown and trodden under foot !
SECOND, WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. (MATT 5:14-16)
- Jesus was telling His disciples “ You and you alone are the light of the world”
- The problem is that we have come to believe that our Christianity testimony is “Personal “ private.
- Christ says “Let your light so shine “ – It is a command.
- The Meaning.
- We are called to receive the light (John 3:19-20).
- Once we receive the light, we must walk in the light. (Eph. 5:8)
- We are called to reflect the light (John.9:5, Phil.2:14-15)
- The Application
- “Let your light shine before men”. Shine before people.
- Darkness distorts reality, but light reveals things as they really are. But people love darkness (John.3:19-20)
- Jesus said,. “If we shine” two things will happen.
- Men will see your good deeds.
- They will give glory to your Father in heaven.
- Do people see your good deeds ?
- Do people give glory to God because of your life ?
- We are salt and light in the world and society.